
I confess, I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter series!!! Travis & I saw the new movie Thanksgiving weekend & loved it. I loved it so much I went straight home and started reading the book.
I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten. The thing I love most about these books is the way she has linked them all together. What I mean is, when you read the 7th book you are reminded of events & secrets that were discovered in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd books, etc. Critical information for the reader as they uncover related mysteries at the end of the story.
I know there is a lot of hype around these books, and you wonder, how could these "larger than life, epic novels" ever live up to your expectations? Well, in my opinion, the movies may leave you disappointed but the books will not.
I'll use Travis as an example. Before we met, Travis was the typical Harry Potter Movie critic, who had seen the first movie & lost interest. Rolling his eyes at enthusiasts like myself (luckily our relationship is not based on fictitious stories of the wizarding world). He married me despite this flaw (thank goodness) but found himself cornered into accompanying me, along with my sister, Jamie & her husband, Brad, to the 5th movie; Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. He liked it. On the way home we played a further intriguing game of "20 Questions" & I provided a little background information causing him to want to read the 6th book (Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince) & find out what happened next.
Wanting to share this interest of mine, I did better than that! I was able to secure the book on CD, so that we could enjoy it together. Which we did. Shortly afterward, the last book was released & Travis raced to finish it before I did. And so another devoted Harry Potter fan was "born."
Now, Harry Potter is something that we enjoy together. The following summer (2008) we read aloud the first 4 books together (we're too cheap to buy the books on CD): Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, the Prisoner of Azkaban, & the Goblet of Fire.
Tuesday, I accompanied Travis to Burley, Idaho & I took my book along to pass the time while he attended... a meeting. As we were driving home I was reading quietly (not normal for someone like me with motion sickness) when he asked if I would read out loud to him. I did & now we are enjoying Harry Potter together.
I know that sounds rather touching but don't be fooled! Now instead of reading whenever I want, I have to wait for him to come home from work to read the next chapter! And I'm getting very impatient!
There you have it. Now you know the reason behind this random post. I am merely passing the time...
No comments:
Post a Comment