Sunday, November 29, 2009

Just a Thank You

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we are taught to liken the Scriptures to ourselves. That being said I'd like to share the following:

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days..."
-1Nephi 1:1-



These are my "Goodly Parents" (I love this picture) & during this week of Thanksgiving I have been increasingly grateful for the wonderful family that I have. Particularly my parents. We recently celebrated my Grandma Reids 80th Birthday & on that day my dad took the opportunity to thank his parents for their example. He pointed out that his parents never expected him to do anything that they had not already done themselves. At the time I don't think I understood the power in that statement.

This week I had the opportunity to receive some sweet counsel from my parents because I have been overwhelmed with the everyday challenges of my life. They shared experiences that helped them to overcome the same trials that Travis & I face now. And I realize that they do not expect any more from me than they have done themselves. There are 2 things I learned during our visit. The first I already knew, it is that my sweetheart, Travis, is an awesome blessing I have from my Heavenly Father. The Second thing they told me, they have taught us before (my brothers, sister & I), is that as long as we have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives we will be blessed. I am so thankful that I have also been "taught somewhat in all the learning of my father [& mother]." I am thankful that they were able to remind me that I have many gifts in addition to my inadequacies, because that is how Heavenly Father intended it to be. I have always known I have a Father in Heaven who loves me, because they taught me by sharing testimony of him & of Jesus Christ.

In the Gospel we are taught about the example Jesus gave us during his ministry & we learn that He also does not expect any more from us than He has done. I think it would be appropriate here to quote 1 John 4:19, " We love him, because he first loved us." This is what I am most thankful for this year, & every year, while we celebrate this Holiday Season.

No comments: